Welcome to Try Coding!
- Please sign in here: http://bit.ly/3949emq
- Open up repl.it in a browser (preferably Chrome) and login to your account
- In another tab, open up try.turing.io/backend-online
- Make sure you have a fully charged computer or a charger close by
- We recommend using headphones and finding a quiet work space to limit distractions
What to Expect
Over the course of the day, we will write code, explore the mindsets that successful developers have, and learn a little more about Turing. We will ask you to introduce yourself, ask questions, and occasionally share out answers to the technical work we do! Below is our agenda for the day:
- 10:00 - 11:45 Welcome, Intros, and Instruction
- 11:45 - 12:00 Break
- 12:00 - 12:45 Turing Info Session
- 12:45 - 1:00 Break
- 1:00 - 2:50 Instruction
- 2:50 - 3:00 Wrap Up, Questions
Online Learning Norms
- No question is too small. No question is a bad question. Ask them!
- We all benefit from each others ideas! Push yourself to share out and make sure you aren’t sharing so much that others don’t have the space to do so.
- Mute yourself unless you’re talking.
- Keep your camera on during class and breakout sessions; ok to turn off during independent work time
- Change Zoom display name to first name, last initial, pronouns; ie - Rachel W. (she/her)
- You might be sharing your screen with your team at some point during the class – if you have anything open that you don’t want to accidentally share, close or minimize it now.
- Questions? Type into the group chat box and a TA will answer you. Avoid direct messages to a TA unless it is a specific issue only to yourself.
- Disconnected? Jump back on! If the host or TAs get disconnected, hold tight, and the session will resume shortly.
- Introduce yourself! Unmute and tell us 1) Where you’re from 2) Why you decided to spend your weekend learning to code 3) Optional: either the most boring or most interesting fact about yourself